Mumsey

The long weekend was rather strange. Sunday, I went for a "Couples for Christ" barbeque with my folks and their friends. I wouldn't normally attend those types of functions because firstly, I am not religious, and secondly, I didn't really fancy hanging out with my parent's friends, but I thought, 'what the hey, its my mum's birthday the next day so I might as well spend some quality time with them... or at least act like I am.

The food was nice but there was a large generation gap between the company and I. On one side of the pit were the toddlers and teenagers, on the other side were the parents.

Where was I to go? Hmm, normally I would make a beeline for the teens and toddlers but at that time, I really wasn't set on babysitting children and high school students. The oldies were gathered round a guitar singing... well... oldies, which I happen to know a lot about. It was unexpectedly nice.

I went to look for a comfort room and I found one, on my way back to the pit, I spotted none other but my cousin and beloved housemate, Krisha. "Gotcha! I yelled" and I stole her away from her friends to say hi to my folks.

I had an ulterior motive though. I wanted to pass the time with people more my age so Krish brought me back to her pit. I was practically brain dead from boredom, but at least there were drinks.

They packed up and I had to return to my folks' get together. By that time I had just about used up every cuss word I knew. I was uttering profanities at the tiny bloodsuckers that left itchy , raised blotches on my skin. I hate mozquitos. Those tiny vampires only suck blood when they need to mate, and only the female mosquito does this. Evil bitches.

Anyways, apart from realizing my ardent hatred for those insects, I also realized that I love children. I met this gorgeous 1 year old little girl, T.J and immediately fell head over heels. She was so darned cute. I guess for a split second I could envision myself in maternal bliss when it was my time to have kids. Anyways, yes... I was a babysitter. It was nice, really nice. Too bad there wasn't any money in it for me.

Comments