Homophobism

If there is one thing that I really hate, its homophobism.

Don't get me wrong - I don't hate religious people or religions which teach that homosexuality is wrong. I really don't. I wish they would stop discriminating against them. I wish they'd stop and see the light but well... apparently they think that they already do.

Just a few days ago, I stumbled upon a piece of news. It seems as if a christian preschool has expelled a student because his parents consists of two lesbians. Other catholic schools are also rescinding applications of students with gay parents.

It made me sick to my stomach. These students did nothing wrong, yet they are the ones prohibited from getting an education.

On the issue of the school - Yes, the church's stance is that it does not condone homosexual relationships, nor does it allow divorce and adultery, however there are still students who have openly divorced parents studying amidst the walls of that preschool. Double standards!

The main difference between the public perception of divorced couples and gay parents are obviously that divorce is rampant and more socially accepted.

Tsk tsk. Apart from the whole school fiasco, another reason I decided to blog about this is that while I was blog surfing, I came across a particularly homophobic post. It made me sick to my stomach that the only reason that this man hated a group of people was because of a certain preference they had in the way they live their lives.

Then again, this draws me to think about how certain members of religious groups hate members of another religious group for the fact that they do not see eye to eye.

Personally I think that the function of religion is to bring people together or perhaps allow them to better themselves. When a religion becomes the cause or even just the vehicle for the spread of hatred, it becomes counter productive. What's the point? Religion is supposed to unite and generally help us do good. Perhaps condemning homosexuals is their way of expressing that will to do good.

Sigh... I don't understand how a church that advocates forgiveness and mercy can condemn anyone.
___________________

After reading the post again, I realize that I am being hypocritical - but I doubt that can be avoided. See...I started off the post by saying I hate Homophobism. People on the other side are saying that they detest Homosexuality. In short, like them, I am being hateful towards a certain school of thought because it differs from my own.

It once again comes down to an issue of perception. Who is right in this case? I still think that I am because, although I am hateful, the subject of my hate is hateful as well - towards a community which I personally feel attached to. Then again, those people who do express hatred for a group different from their own are probably justifying their actions using the same exact train of thought.

I am wrong to hate however rest assured, my hatred will simmer down to mild discontent because I know that the gay population is gaining more recognition and is starting to be given rights en par with heterosexuals.

- Gosh... the metaphysics exercise we did in debates seems to have stuck.

Comments