The Hunt Begins

As an update on my previous post: Yeah, I broke as an adj. I adj-ed in the JC final rounds and the Grand Finals! Whoot! Diplomacy + Perseverance and a whole lot of luck = :D

Warning: Discussions on Religion.
- I know that some of you don't like this sort of thing so... cease and desist.

I need this job to save my family from bankruptcy. Yes guys, I'm not being overly dramatic, as I do have a tendency to be. I honestly need to get a job within 3 months, or else, that $13000 per semester that we saved, is going to come back and bite me in my sweet derriere.

Some of you may already know, I have suffered the great grounding. The first and hopefully the last of its kind experienced by yours truly. It rose from a simple conversation which progressively amplified into what seemed like tens of decibels. There were tears and shouting and some minor disobediences which occurred. Some of the glassware in my house became what could be seen as raw material for mosaics. Simply put, a fight between dear mother and me.

There were also some discussions about religion, where Dad, Aunt and Mother cornered me. Stating that I had "something wrong with my thinking" and that had a lack in faith in the power of prayer. And here I thought no one noticed. Sigh. I denied the fore-mentioned accusations. Stating instead, irreconcilable differences in our understanding of the mechanism of prayer and religion. Their reactions - they want to send me to a seminary to "realize" certain things. I believe thoroughly that the only thing that will be realized in that scenario is my ardent dislike for institutionalized religions, and the people who will realize that fact - my parents.

They claim that they don't want to "change" me... they just want to "enhance" my belief. Oh dear. I mentioned that the word enhance means to alter although not entirely which wouldn't you know it means change! They cry that I am just trying to weasel my way out of the situation - yes, they blamed debating for my "defenitional challenge". Apparently debating is evil, hence I wasn't allowed to attend meetings.

My folks pushing their beliefs onto me is something I fervently detest. Sure, it is their job to guide me, however, this particular approach might push me towards a path which they would consider more distasteful. I don't want to hate the faith, because I am truly fascinated by it. It is something which I do not understand and hence interesting to me.

I am afraid that their actions, which they believe might be for my own good, could leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for Catholicism and its like.

During the heated discussion, my body clenched with the sheer effort of restraint as I ardently longed to profess my faith, or lack thereof. My frustration oozed out of my tear ducts despite my willing them dry.

I wanted to yell, " Of course I don't believe in prayer - apart from its placebo effects, I don't currently believe there is a God to pray to. AND EVEN IF I DID - on the off chance that I might resort to agnosticism in the near future, I do not believe that the God which created us (if he did) would grant our wishes if he could hear us. Why would he? (if he were a he of course) Some would say, because he loves us. Does he? Why? Because he created us? Why did he create us?

I believe that we are the way we are because of random occurrences within the scope of normal situations. I believe that if a God or Gods exist, then we will probably not have the capacity to understand him/her/them, and that we are just kidding ourselves by thinking that we can.

Gosh. I wish I could have said that. However, I fear that I would be disowned by the Villabroza and Sta. Rosa clan. Then again, I don't exactly want to be owned... like a pet, constantly on a leash.

Anyways, enough with the blaspheming.

On to less important things, ah yes, the job hunt.

I have been working on my resume and my cover letter and sending them out to any ad related to pharmacy, health care or medicine which has the words, diploma in Biomedical Sciences in it. Well, all except the ones which say, "Only Singaporeans or Permanent residents need apply". That equates to about 8 applications sent. It is indeed frightening that I am on a social visit pass and on a three month deadline to get a job. Talk about difficult. Few are willing to hire social visit pass holders. Hopefully one will take me in. To make things worse though, the health care industry isn't exactly as healthy as we Applied Science students would like.

Oh well. Wish me luck on BOTH aspects of my life which need fixing!

Comments