Tatay Anding (Father Gerardo)

I got home after a long day and received the news.

The only grandparent I have left just had a stroke.

Tatay is my grandfather on my fathers side and to tell you the truth, he's really my favorite. He has a weathered face creased with lines from years of smiling his charming toothless grin. He and my late grandmother put my dad and his four siblings through school. He farmed the land and loved to participate in cock fights. Every morning he would cycle a few kilometers to the paddy fields to do god knows what. I was always fascinated at the way he cycled so slowly without falling over.

He lovingly carved a mancala set for us when we were younger, he even built a tree house for us to hang out in- pity it was torn down by a storm.

He's so fit and him having a stroke was the last thing we expected. I just hope he gets well soon and I get to see that toothless grin again.

I don't want my dad to be an "ulila" like my mom.

Ulila- directly translated means abandoned or lost, in this context however it means parent-less... but lost and abandoned pretty much sums up the feeling of being parent-less.

Comments