Eureka!

I just had a eureka moment! I've been oblivious for years and I can't believe that I've been such an idiot for all this time.

Remember the story when Archimedes stepped into a full bath and the water ran over the brim then he understood that volume of an object could be calculated using the amount of water displaced.

I just had that about the guitar and music in general. It was like a tidal wave or something where everything just clicked. I swear if a musician heard about my revelation he would so have laughed because what I figured out is so basic that most musicians pick up on it right away.

Anyways... ever since I was about 4 or 5, when I started learning how to play the piano, I always assumed that the notes are spaced equally because of the way they are written on the score and I couldn't figure out for the love of me why on earth is it that when I played "twinkle twinkle little star" starting with an E, I have to use the black keys but not if I played it starting with a C.
- anyways yes... they're not spaced equally.

I now know why- after yesterday's "discussion" with Jo and Nick I whipped out my keyboard and did some tinkering and it was staring me in the face! There are 8 white keys in an octave and only 5 black keys! I hit myself on the head and laughed my evil maniacal laugh.



We naturally transpose music by ear so I was pretty surprised to find that there was some math/method to the madness. Gosh, why is there always math involved! I swear I see it every time I look at a piece of music. There's a fraction, patterns and a whole lot of other mathematical stuff in the damn composition.- No wonder I didn't take to sight reading.

Its a pity I didn't figure it out sooner... maybe after a few more eureka moments I wouldn't have been so quick to quit learning how to play the Piano, the Electrone and even Choir. I swear that no one taught me music theory properly because my Piano teacher just taught me how to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and taught me squat about the way music works.

I need to start from the basics if I want to get anywhere.

Comments