Documentaries

Oh yeah... I just watched a bunch of documentaries. One "The History of Islam" and another on ethnic violence in Africa, United States and the United Kingdom (Racism: A History).

Islam does have similarities to Catholicism with regards to certain icons, like Abraham, Jesus, the Archangel Gabriel and the North Star. Its pretty interesting, and in the 5th century, when there was a mass conversion of the population surrounding Mecca to Muslim, the Jews and the Christians in the region were permitted not to convert because their practices were in parallel with Abraham's one God. Christians, Muslims and Jews actually worshiped side by side.

I want to know more! Its a wonder that I think these things are fascinating, considering my consistent aversion to organized religion. It is interesting though... the differences and similarities between different religious beliefs. It actually makes me think that perhaps maybe, there's more to religion than I initially thought. Maybe I was too quick to judge.

The documentary on Racism was incredibly eye opening. It demonstrated the extent of hatred expressed by many against their slaves. It showed how Congolese were exploited by the Dutch and how much death and destruction has actually occurred. It showed how far we've come and highlighted the importance of inspirational figures such as Martin Luther King to push forth equality between different ethnic groups. It made me realize that discussing issues is enough catalyze a chain of events which could potentially lead to a better future.

We're still not out of the fire though. Some are still trapped in lifetimes of poverty due to discrimination that is still present till this day.

I am so in love with the History channel and BBC Knowledge. I don't get to watch them a lot though. Sigh... Maybe this weekend.

Comments