And they think she's gone cuckcoo.

Remember my post entitled "thinking", well, recently I watched this documentary... yes my dear friends, another documentary, some of you probably wonder why I bother and it was about our genes and how they affect our behaviour. There were also a couple of case studies which explored a phenomenon which I am particularly fascinated about, twins. More specifically, twins who were separated at birth and how similar they are despite different upbringing, basically, it demonstrates how much "nature" is actually involved in an individual's behaviour.

That particular documentary explained how a set of genes which code for certain neurotransmitters in the brain can predispose us to seek certain situations, examples of this is the Novelty seeking gene on chromosome 11, which makes a person more likely to feel excited when experiencing a novel activity. When this gene is slightly longer, there is a greater brain response to dopamine, which is a chemical linked to pleasure and sensation seeking.

This then results in personality traits such as outstanding creativity, a propensity to challenge authority and the interest in pursuing the unknown. People with this gene also are more likely to smoke, drink and take drugs and hence lead to extremely destructive criminal behavior.

Sound familiar? I wonder if I have this gene.

Comments