First Interview

Today, or well... since its 3 in the morning ....I guess it was yesterday. I had to go through my first ever job interview.

The interviewer glanced at my transcript. As his eyes scanned the page, he shook his head from side to side ever so slightly. I imagined him mentally clicking his tongue at my grades. As he read my CV, his eyes stopped at the internship section. He asked me, why I decided to pursue R&D for both my chosen Differential Research Program and my industrial attachment. Why wasn't I applying for a job in R&D instead?

I asked myself that. I've always believed in working in the R&D industry but short to say, that sector isn't exactly hiring at the moment. Since the recent economic meltdown, it seemed that the main concern of these companies shifted from product development to self preservation.

As a whole, it wasn't as nerve wrecking as I had originally imagined. I found that somehow I had to sell the idea that - despite my lackadaisical grades, I was capable of some sort of success in my future workplace. It was a difficult sell, but I do believe that he somehow saw that I indeed wanted the job and would pounce at any opportunity that was given to me.

I realize that the sacrifices that I have made for debates does indeed have its long term repercussions. It seems as if I have robbed myself of the opportunity to work in a pharmacy and perhaps some much needed job experience.

From this moment forth, I will take what I can get. There's not a lot I can do about the grades I got or the strange lab based internships I had gotten, all there is left for me to do is make the most of them.

I do regret being distracted but I don't regret joining debates. I do regret changing my attachment, however, I am still happy that things went down the way they did - I wouldn't have otherwise met the people I did or learnt the things I did.

My past is a part of me, and hold a great significance in making me who I am today. I just hope some company takes me in...

I'm not used to being so positive - as you all know, but I am trying out that whole "law of attraction" idea. Who knows, it might actually help me pull myself out of this rut I'm in.

Comments