Double standards?

I realize that I'm a lot harder on myself than I should be. I forgive other people easily, but I seem to have difficulty coming to terms with my own mistakes. It is almost as if I expect more from myself than I do from other people, which is a ridiculous double standard because I am just another person as well.

Maybe this is because of how I was brought up. I'm supposed to be proper and "better than those other people". Maybe my folks had some sort of superiority complex or something. LOL! I guess when you learn your morals, its a sort of "copy paste" mechanism when you just adopt what your parents tell you without questioning them because questioning these age old morals would be "disrespectful".

I think I was going through this phase of pushing the boundaries and had to find out my own reasons of why wrong was wrong instead of trusting with blind faith what I was brought up to believe.

I'm not a goddess. I'm not supposed to be perfect. I'm allowed to make mistakes and learn from them - and more importantly, I am allowed to forgive myself if I do make a mistake.

I have been turning this anger inward, into self loathing and I know that it is neither healthy nor productive to constantly berate myself for being a klutz, or insensitive, or for making the wrong decision.

Maybe I can finally stop feeling guilty. Ultimately we are all learning to be better people to each other and yes mistakes suck but the thing about them is that we can learn to not repeat them again. Sometimes we have to be kind to ourselves too, and that's important.

Comments