Opportunities.


I was just watching the last season of House, the episode was entitled Autopsy. This is the episode where the patient, another doctor questions Chase's abilities, because despite Chase being granted all the opportunities he could get, being born well of, handsome and intelligent and having been schooled by Gregory House, he hasn't done much with the opportunities he's received.

Its made me question my abilities. I have been called a bag of potential waiting to be unleashed. I have been called gifted and intelligent, yet where am I. What have I done with my life?

I was just looking through my friends on facebook - more specifically, those that I have gone to school with in Hong Kong. Most of them are very successful individuals. Senior consultants, law undergrads and where am I?

Granted, I have been taking it easy for the past 5 years or so and I feel like it hasn't gotten me that much closer to where I inevitably want to be. I'm still a work in progress. Highly immature. I have set some goals in my life that I am working towards, but it seems like every time I get a step closer, it moves a step away from me.

This leads me to wonder if my friends have just been given the right set of opportunities since graduating elementary school - or was I just dealt with a less than desirable hand? Granted, all of their families were and to my knowledge still wealthy. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Can wealth by your children better and more opportunities?

Maybe it can. I won't let that discourage me though. I might have taken a different route but I will be successful. Not so that I can rub it in other people's faces. I want success for me and my family. I know that it is attainable. I just have to put more elbow grease into it.

Comments