Hand written

So many things nowadays are printed out. So few things are handwritten. The art of writing, or handwriting in particular is fast disappearing.

The digital age has made it so easy to just tap words into a computer. I find that typing text in to a computer removes some of the art of writing. I mean... the writing becomes soft and easily edit-able. Picture this... you're writing a paragraph in pen on a piece of paper. All your thoughts are recorded... even the ones that you would normally omit from the final written piece.

See when you write on paper, if you write something and then later change it, chances are you'll just cross out that portion of text and continue on writing, leaving that portion of text still readable. - I just think that aspect of it is so honest.

In addition, the manner in which you write the material is visible. If more emotion goes into that writing, the pressure on the pen would be more. If something is rushed, spelling errors occur, the words will hardly touch the lines. The handwriting itself is part of the self expression.

Not just that though. Lets take a moment to compare blogging to writing in a diary or perhaps a journal. In a blog I feel that sometimes, you or rather I, the writer am forced to think about what I'm writing in a different way as I would in a journal - simply because at the end of the day, I will post this thing up on cyberspace.

In a blog entry, you have to consider that your blog is readable to well... whomever wants to read it (unless of course you set it on a private setting - which in my opinion would render your blog completely useless as a platform for launching your you-ness)

In a journal though, ( I don't really like to call it a diary) most of the time you have full control over who reads it, or if it is read at all. A journal for the most part is there for your own reference, it is not usually meant for others to read. Whereas a blog IS!

And... in a debate argument, this would be called the link:
People generally behave differently when they are being watched as opposed to if they are not being watched. The same is true for their written work. Perhaps in a blog entry, I would only publish a post if it was more on the polarized side. I might even change the words I use to become more formal or serious or even more expressive and dramatic as I normally would if I knew that this piece of work would not be published. Perhaps that is done to seem more palatable or impressive to all those who would read my gibberish.

So as you can see, the true-ness and spontaneity of the situation is lost. The words become more worked. The words just become that much more artificial when they aren't captured in their purest form. It is less effortless to write a blog entry than it is to write solely for ones own amusement.

That is why I am starting a journal. - Yes I call it a journal because well... the word "diary" just feels a little immature for me. I won't be writing all of the scandalous details of my every lascivious act (LOL) - I'll only write what I feel matters from an intellectual standpoint. Though, if a moment seems particularly lewd, that might just make it it the books.

Comments