a weighty topic



A couple of days ago someone TRIED to jerk me into "REALITY?!?" about my weight. I rolled my eyes - behind closed lids and thought to myself, reality is so subjective.

I don't know if you've heard this before but for some reason, this phrase has come up quite a bit throughout the duration of my life. "You would look so much better if you were just a bit skinnier"

Although I know that I'd be better off lighter - with regards to my weight I know for a fact that weight watching will be a very inconvenient thing, not to mention a rather emotional one. Besides, I'm young. I think my body can deal with my high calorie intake for now.

Here's my thought on weight. As far as I am concerned, I could care less what the scale says about me. At the moment, I can freely eat what I want to eat, and do what I want to do guilt free - perhaps it can be seen as a fairly hedonistic approach to life but lets face it, food makes me happy and worrying about my weight doesn't.

The reason I don't particularly obsess about my weight is simple. I don't want to be bound by the constant fear and stress related to a controlled diet and exercise regime. The way I see it, apart from an extended lifespan (an idea which some people would refute) and the ability to fit into smaller sized clothing I see no real gain from it. Seeing the numbers on a scale go down will not make me a happier person. I refuse to allow a mere number to dictate how I feel about my body.

The idea of squeezing into an "ideal" size is preposterous to me. Why should people I barely know dictate the way I live my life?

Sure, the mainstream society may see me as unattractive, but then again, not everyone likes skinny girls. The idea that one can be beautiful regardless of race, sexual orientation, religion or size is one that I am rather fond of. Succumbing to social pressures will just make me a hypocrite. Fact is, I love myself. I think everyone should regardless of how little or much they weigh. Oh and let me just say, just because someone weighs less does not mean that they are more healthy.

Lets face it. I would probably be healthier and all that jazz but, I wouldn't be the person I am today if I looked any different. :P

When I decide to lose weight, it will be for... bah... I'll change my lifestyle for the purpose of health. My losing weight would just be a side effect. That's the way it should be, not the other way around.

Comments