Movies!



I have always loved the movie Shutter Island since the day I saw it. It reminded me of a somewhat more action packed version of one of my favorite movies (which I've only watched once by the way), The Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, and also a bit of Girl Interrupted. All of which have the reccuring theme that reality is malleable depending on the mind which percieves it.

Shutter Island mainly put forth the idea that the qualifiers pertaining to differentiating the sane from the insane are extremely subjective. Which brings about a disturbing notion. The idea is that if something which is treated as a clinical illness is so subject to human error and perception - how can we be sure that it is indeed a legitimate illness after all? Can we? Ahhh just watch the damned movies.

For some reason, I really have a thing for movies that mind fuck. Yep, and Inception did just that. It scrambled my mind. The same way that Shutter Island did. Both left you with your own conclusion of what happened. I watched the movie with two of my friends and we all came out of there with a different idea of what happened. LOL!

Sure there were some major inconsistencies, and a lot of holes in the screenplay, but then again, I do believe that they tried to bite off a little more than they could chew to pull of a movie like that.

Oh the holes in the screen play, here's some I could spot.

If the chemical compound used to put them to sleep maintains the balancing function of the inner ear, why is it that, since they are all really in a plane, the movement of the van in dream level 1 affects dream level 2, when the only thing that should affect the perception of gravity in that case would be the movement of the plane?

What's Leo's token and how is he able to steal his wife's? Note that he stole the top in the dream world, how did he get his hands on in in real life since she knows that he's not supposed to have it? And wouldn't Leo showing her the top in reality show her that she is indeed not dreaming, hence saving her from trying to kill herself?

Blah blah blah, all of which are exhausting for me to think about.

Comments