Why I love Marshall.

I know I don't look it but I really am a big Eminem fan. I always have been, from the time when I was a teenager who dressed in over-sized clothing and suffering from a severe form of teen angst till... well now. Em has pretty much disappeared for a few years, just doing a few collaborations here and there - till he released Recovery last year, and now the Bad meets Evil EP.

Out of nowhere, my adoration for this hip hop machine was rekindled by the song Lighters. I was surprised that Em was doing something with Royce Da 5'9. Why was I surprised? Well, because I know about the D12 and Royce beef.

Glad they worked it out.

Anyways, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't freaking ecstatic that one of... if not my favorite artist is back in the airwaves. Be it with a few lyrics bleeped out.

I don't know what it is about Marshall Mathers that drives me to the verge of obsession. Maybe because his lyrics are sometimes so cryptic - or double entendres that I just end up listening to his songs on loop - trying to figure out his references.

Take "Had a dream, I was king, I woke up sill king" - now I'm sorry but that just sounds like an allusion to Martin Luther King's speech - I had a dream, now what do you think? Then he goes to say... " this rap nipple is mine for the milking" - milking... sounds like ML King now don't it.

Anyways, I just think that he's for real. He doesn't rap like most rappers. He doesn't just talk about sex and clubbing and so on, his stories are a glimpse of real life. Plus, he actually has a vocabulary.

Just listen... and analyse. There's a lot of verbal irony in his lyrics - a lot of double meanings. When I listen to his songs... its entertaining, and when I take a closer look, I feel like I'm looking at a cypher that I just can't wait to break. That is why they call him a genius.

Comments